Monday, September 23, 2013

20 things I bet you didn't know about Mexico!



We got to talk to Nick on the phone last week, so there wasn't a letter.  We had to wait a whole week to hear from him.  He did have a stop in Houston on the way to Mexico, and we weren't sure he was going to be flying into Mexico with all the flooding.  His flight took off a little past schedule, but there were no problems.   He seems to love it there already.   We're happy that he has a native companion.  His language should be able to improve quickly.  





SO my first week in Mexico!!!  First impression... everything we know about Mexico is a lie.  It's so nice here though, I love it so much.  My companion is Elder Cruz from Pueblo Mexico. He learned English from just talking to people in the mission.  He goes home in 3 months.

So the first few days took just forever.  All day I would just look forward to the end of the day.  I could only pick out like a couple of words in Spanish so I'd just sit there lost while Elder Cruz did all the talking.  But, it got better. (Oh! by the way I'm in Queretaro, Fresno, in the city )
Anyway back to what I was saying, I was only focused on the end.  Well that's not how its supposed to be!  Life either.  We need to enjoy the moments we have, the small things with the time we have.  So here are some small things about Mexico...

1. Ice cream trucks in America, they're white and pretty and play fun music.  You know those trucks that you see at Halloween and you don't go up to cause their going to kidnap you.  Yeah those are the ice cream trucks here.
2. Stop signs. They're optional.
3. Garbage cans, they're like on a basket on a post in front of your house.
4. Doors. When you go up to someones door or gate, you knock on it with a pen and somehow they just know with their 6th sense and come out.
5. Light switches, are sideways. I don't like it.
6. Penguin guys. These guys dress up penguins and drag around coolers full of otter pops to sell.
7. Dogs. Freakin stray dogs everywhere.  They leave us alone but I still don't like them. And at the same time I must admit it's a little bit depressing. But to get rid of them, you pretend to pick up a rock and they just run.
8. Words with Elder Cruz.  Just trying to explain words like furry, or what prom is, or how being overwhelmed feels, in Spanish. Lots of charades.
9. We went to this restaurant and the refrigerator was full of dead baby pigs. So that's fun.
10. Fun food. Ate mayonnaise corn, and Chicharron,  which is fried pig skin. Same texture as dried mangoes but tastes like wet dog.
11. Waters actually clean? I use it to brush my teeth and stuff. On top of that,  no diarrhea. Actually have been a bit constipated for the past week. Life's good.
12. Got locked in the bathroom my first time, since the doorknob was somewhat broken. That was fun.
13.  Mosquitoes. Every night I get like 6 new bites.
14. We were talking to the bishops wife the 2nd night, to say take care is "cuiasay". I said "cayasay" which means shut up... luckily no one heard me.
15. Bus rides. They don't wait for anyone.  They start driving while you're looking down counting money.  It's fun though.
--( I should probably tell you about the second night now. So after  the new elder orientation, me and Elder Cruz got into a car with all our bags. Only our bags took up 2 seats alone. So my first memories with him are him sitting on my lap for a 30 min ride to the other side of Queretaro.  Get to our house, wrong keys. Ended up putting our bags in this random ladies house (who were teaching now) and had to stay in a secretarie missionarie home with no pillows or clean clothes. But it all worked out in the end)
16. Chile pepper juice in your eyes. Imagine pouring hot coals into your eyes, it's similar.
17. Singing. Mexicans can't.
18. Dinner doesn't exist in Mexico. :( It makes me sad, but we always go get late snacks.
19. Cop cars/trucks/mopeds.  Whatever they can find really, and always drive around with their lights on.
20. Sweet potato guys. I hate them. They drag around this cart with a whistle on it that produces the same sound as a 200 ton train. It hurts my ears.
 
 
Anyway thats all I can really talk about.  Other than that I have no idea what happened this week.  Everyone calls me a nuevecito which is little new kid.  And I dont really know Spanish, but I'll get there.  I do what I can, and from that I've gained a love for the people here already.  They're all awesome.  We had this guy tell us yesterday that whenever we need food or anything,  no se preocupado. Just call him up and its done.  He's also teaching me how to make tamales, eventually.(Did he forget his mother made tamales for him for his farewell?) People like that make me happy!


Nick's MTC district and teachers



Nick and his MTC companion




Queretaro


President and Sister Mejorada

Nick's new home away from home

Queretaro

Nick's shower in which he says they ignore the purple stuff in the corner and the extra hair.  Ewwww

Their beds

HIs view outside his house

Meat for the tacos

Tacos in which he said he felt them that night.  

Elder Cruz






No comments:

Post a Comment